Saturday, July 19, 2014

Define Success

I polled a number of people that I trust and respect to define success. We've discussed in this class as well as other classes, people have varying perspectives on what success looks like. I decided to write a few words about each individual in how I perceive them as individuals, two of their occupations (because it seems that people have more than one major work commitment usually) and their responses to my question. I'm hoping to go back through these answers and find common threads. I am recording answers that are both genuine and humorous, because I believe that the humorous responses tell you just as much about that person as real answers.

Question: What does success mean to you?
Me (Grace):
Occupation: Student/healthcare intern
Description: thoughtful, old soul, driven
Response: "100% engaged in both work and family life, and finding a peaceful balance between the two"

My boyfriend: 
Occupation: A bioengineer turned air force pilot
Description: thoughtful, inquisitive, devoted
1st Response: "Your smile after a meaningful conversation"
2nd response: "financial freedom and the ability to have time to make a living that allows me the time for projects that I would eventually like to be fully employed around"

My mother:
Occupation: music professor/ freelance musician
Description: diva, yogi, energetic
Response: "I would look up the definition of success in Wikipedia and then personalize it for myself"

My father
Occupation:carpenter/ artist
Description: withdrawn, quiet, content
Response: "Knowing that you are correct in the path to completing a task or project, and then having it affirmed, unsolicited, from colleagues and/ or clients"

My stepfather
Occupation: marketing, food and society professor/ actor
Description: dark, witty, afraid
Response: "Having found a group of people who appreciate your creative and productive energies"

My friend, Katie:
Occupation: student/ guide dog trainer
Description: strong, capable, giving
Response: "Happy and healthy. Accomplishing your personal goals"

My friend, Jen:
Occupation: student/ corporate social responsibility intern
Description: meticulous, goofy, poignent
Response: "To have made some social impact, and I can take care of myself and live a life where I don't have to worry about financial burdens"

My friend, Laura:
Occupation: student/ healthcare intern
Description: strong willed, happy, purposeful
Response: "If I can have a diamond the size of Cathy Minehans'"

I've noticed a few themes in these.
1) Some are directly relating to finances
2) Some are focused on goals and accomplishments
3) All are focused on the self, and not selfless acts (except for Jen's, and Kyle's first brownie-point-winning response)
4) Some are general
5) Some have some path delineated in them to achieve that success, or just the path to defining success (like my mother).

This exercise really proved to me the importance of identifying norms when you are entering into a new partnership -personally or professionally- because definitions of something so core to who we are and what we strive for are completely different, and can evolve over time. Understanding basic assumptions people hold or an organization holds can tell a lot about where their values lie, and if your values are in line with theirs. It's important to identify these early on because although it won't be a waste of time to devote yourself to work or a person who has different values than you, it ultimately may be hurtful or a barrier that may not be able to be overcome to progress with that effort further.

No comments:

Post a Comment