Friday, June 6, 2014

Handling Difficult Conversations Creatively- "The Power of Willful Ignorance"

This is a video that today's blog is based on. It's about 7 minutes long, and the presenter is an actress pretending to be a food marketing agent who is warm, charismatic, and knowledgeable about her field. The point of this video is to bring to light the "power of willful ignorance" to describe the fact that most individuals will go out of their way to remain separate from their food in the supermarket and would prefer to not have a clue bout the way that animals meant for food are treated. There aren't any graphic photos, and there isn't any conversation that could in any way upset your stomach. It's just a gentle push back on the societal norm that ignorance is bliss.

http://www.upworthy.com/no-one-applauds-this-woman-because-theyre-too-creeped-out-at-themselves-to-put-their-hands-together?c=ufb1

I need to be honest and say that yes I am a vegetarian, and I've been one since the age of 11. But, as of a few years ago, I will eat fish, and I will eat dairy, and really I'm just a graduate student trying to survive and I eat a bunch of processed crap most of the time. I'm not posting this video because of my support of the idea that animals should be treated with more respect, but instead I'm bringing this video forward because I believe it's creative genius.

It really doesn't matter if the presenter is an actress or if she was really a food marketer, what matters is tat this is an exceptional presentation. It's hard enough to present your ideas in a clear and well defined manner in order to gain the interest of others who you are targeting to invest in you or work with you or really that you're looking to have help your and your idea succeed. It's a whole other story to eloquently hint at your true point but to dance around any words that may have a sour sting when they roll off the tongue.

I believe that whoever wrote this script has a true talent for writing, and that they have worked to refine their skill of addressing difficult conversations in a way that induces empathy and reflection instead of putting up a wall and becoming defensive about ones' own actions.

My takeaway from this video is that creativity can be found in many different ways, and one of those ways is addressing a difficult conversation of any type. I believe that this creative ability is imperative in my career because I would really like to work in corporate hospice, where 1) I am looking at staring death in the face every day, and 2) I have to justify making a profit off of dying people and grieving families. These will be difficult conversations that I will have frequently. And I think there is a lot to learn from this video in order to tackle these hurdles going forward.


No comments:

Post a Comment